[svlug] ISSUE: SVLUG's continued status with SBAY

J. Paul Reed preed at svlug.org
Fri Feb 24 16:17:54 PST 2006

On 24 Feb 2006 at 01:59:07, Robert Hajime Lanning arranged the bits on my disk to say:

> So, you are saying that SVLUG voted to be part of SBAY without knowing
> what it was doing?  We just blindly said "We just vote and agree to be
> part of the SBAY corporation and that's it." Paper work?  We don't need
> no paper work.

I know this is an attempt at humor... but from the evidence we've tried to
gather, this is pretty much how it happened.

There was no electronic (and thus archived) discussion, no posted SVLUG
meeting minutes, no announcement of the original vote, no website
information, NOTHING.

We looked through the archives and couldn't find any. Bill Ward, an SBAY
Board member agreed: he couldn't find any.

It's actually made discussing this somewhat difficult, because we can't
talk about what the original reasons were: there's no archive of what the
original reasons were stated to be.

We can't talk about and review how SBAY has delivered on the benefits they
said SVLUG would enjoy: there's no archive of what they said the benefits
would be.

If you're asking yourself "Well, then how did we get into this relationship
in the first place?" I think the answer is "It was announced randomly at
some meeting, no opportunity for discussion was presented, and the people
who happened to be there--the vote wasn't announced, remember--voted for it
because they didn't really know what they were voting on, and what the pros
and cons really were."

> SBAY maybe very slow in getting the corporation ground work done, but we
> are even worse.  SBAY has made WAY more progress than we have.

SVLUG didn't make the charter a priority because SBAY wasn't an
incorporated entity until a couple of months ago.

(Actually, I'd like to give you the exact date the paperwork was filed;
I've asked the Board for that information a couple of times and been
ignored.)

Later,
Paul
--