[svlug] ISSUE: SVLUG's continued status with SBAY

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Fri Feb 24 11:59:47 PST 2006

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 09:54:28AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Bill Ward (bill at wards.net):
>
> > Don't forget the Linux Picnic.  What if someone gets food poisoning or
> > something?
>
> The archtypical ambulance chaser's standard answer is "Sue everyone in sight."
> But, of course, in practice it tends to work out to "Sue whoever has
> deep pockets and can be plausibly argued to be responsible."

Your comments about lawyers and civil lawsuits are so biased to be useless
here. Not all lawsuits are without merit.

I just cited an example of someone possibly getting electrocuted. Now if
that happened, that individual's family might not give a damn about the
money. They might just want the folks responsible to be held accountable.
Many lawsuits fit this category. Oh sure, the family would pay the legal
bills -- but they would be more than glad to do that on behave of their
lost loved one. In this case, SVLUG officiers and volunteers could be
effectively wiped out by a judgement. Oh sure, they might not actually pay
much out, but they would never be able to acquire any tangible assets.

I believe the corporate liability shield might protect some or all of these
SVLUG folks in such a case.

Thanks,
Karen
--