[svlug] ISSUE: SVLUG's continued status with SBAY

Joe Buck Joe.Buck at synopsys.COM
Thu Feb 23 18:53:26 PST 2006

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 08:20:21AM -0800, Al Eridani wrote, to Tin Le:
> To the point of hurting your own interests? From what transpires in
> this mailing list,
> it looks like only a handful of people are willing to voice an
> opinion.

But those who are willing to voice an opinion are evidently willing
to express the same opinion 20 times or more, which is more than making
up for the small number of distinct people posting.

I suspect that most of the non-officer members, and loosely affiliated
folks like me that have permanent conflicts (my wife's book club, a
political group I'm interested in, and SVLUG all have meetings the first
Wednesday of the month) like the mailing lists, the talks, the
installfests, etc. but don't care that much about the organizational
legalities.  I am grateful that volunteers have been willing to take on
the task of keeping the organization going for so many years.  I am
unhappy to see these same volunteers fighting.  It would be presumptious
of me to take sides.

> You had time to criticize the way the discussion is being conducted but you
> did not have time for what really matters: to say whether you think that
> SVLUG should split from SBAY or not and why.

Why are you so convinced that it really matters?  I would like to see the
situation resolved, but I don't care much about how.

An SVLUG that it a harmonious part of SBAY would be fine.  An independent
SVLUG would also be fine.  Both the benefits of SBAY membership and the
harms have been exaggerated.  What is not fine is to have people at each
others' throats.

If the bitterness is now too extreme, that might be an argument for a
split.  But there are overlapping members, and I'm afraid that whichever
way the decision goes, some dedicated volunteers are going to be very
unhappy.  This is too bad.