[svlug] SVLUG's domain name; was Re: ISSUE: SVLUG's continued status with SBAY

Marc MERLIN marc_news at merlins.org
Thu Feb 23 15:08:39 PST 2006

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 12:14:30PM -0800, J. Paul Reed wrote:
> This is probably a good time to note that I asked SBAY (and cc'd the SVLUG
> volunteers list) a couple of days ago to make the svlug.org server the
> primary DNS server for the svlug.org domain, so that we could fix some
> DNS issues an SVLUG volunteer brought to our attention (glue records, and
> such), and so SVLUG volunteers had easy access to make additions/changes in
> the future (the problem has taken weeks to fix).
>
> I did NOT ask that the whois registry contact information--the legally
> important part--be changed.

Personally I think both should be directly accessible by svlug volunteers.
It is in that spirit that I transferred them to Ian.

For the rest, I don't claim to know nearly enough to take sides, and quite
frankly, I don't want to anyway as this is exactly the kind of politics that
I wanted to avoid and I was hoping that both svlug and sbay could do
without.

Yall figure it out, but my personal wish is that the current svlug leaders
have full access to svlug DNS, both at the registry and dns master sides

I don't think that Ian is against that anyway, at least I hope not as
otherwise I would deeply regret the trust I had in him when I made the
transfer, but again, I very much doubt that whatever the outcome of all this
is, Ian would hold svlug DNS away from its leaders.

Hopefully this is just a misunderstanding that will get cleared up soon,
separately from svlug being under sbay or not.

Marc