[svlug] SVLUG's domain name; was Re: ISSUE: SVLUG's continued status with SBAY

J. Paul Reed preed at svlug.org
Thu Feb 23 12:14:30 PST 2006

On 23 Feb 2006 at 09:54:00, Marc MERLIN arranged the bits on my disk to say:

> I just hope that I won't later regret handing out svlug.org and svlug.net
> to SBAY if this is used for bargaining or strongarm tactics, but
> fortunately I very much doubt that it would come down to that considering
> the people involved and the fact that we all first care about linux.

This is probably a good time to note that I asked SBAY (and cc'd the SVLUG
volunteers list) a couple of days ago to make the svlug.org server the
primary DNS server for the svlug.org domain, so that we could fix some
DNS issues an SVLUG volunteer brought to our attention (glue records, and
such), and so SVLUG volunteers had easy access to make additions/changes in
the future (the problem has taken weeks to fix).

I did NOT ask that the whois registry contact information--the legally
important part--be changed.

Putting the primary, definitive DNS server on svlug.org's own server makes
sense, no matter the organizational arrangement, since SVLUG volunteers
are more likely to have access to SVLUG's server, whereas they wouldn't
necessarily have access to other people's personal servers (where
svlug.org/.net are now hosted).

SBAY's President, Ian Kluft responded:

   Sorry, nothing is immaterial of another "pending issue" when it ruins
   working relationships in a volunteer organization.  Changing the
   primary DNS will wait until your mess is cleaned up.

   Something that would be helpful and could begin the road to re-earn some
   trust would be offering a secondary nameserver on the svlug.org server.
   In the process of performing that help, you'll automatically get a copy
   of the zone file that you wanted.

I'm not exactly sure whom SVLUG is supposed to be "re-earn[ing] some trust"
with.

But it's clear that SVLUG currently has no control or ownership of its own
domain name(s) and is being told that there is no intention to give them
any such ownership.

That email also stated SBAY's intentions to add another secondary
nameserver (operated by an SBAY Board Member) without request or
involvement from SVLUG's volunteers.

Later,
Paul
--