[svlug] ISSUE: SVLUG's continued status with SBAY

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Feb 22 12:32:35 PST 2006

Quoting Bill Ward (bill at wards.net):

> Let's be clear on this whole "elected leader" thing.

Yes, indeed let's.

> As an unchartered SIG, the only officer of SVLUG that has any legal
> standing is "SIG Coordinator"....

"Legal standing"?  Is someone planning to _sue_, Bill?  Otherwise, I am
unclear on why you're suggesting that SVLUG's democratic process somehow
doesn't matter.

> Also, SVLUG has never been independent.

You are mistaken.  SVLUG was independent during the long period when
SVCS basically ignored us and cut us loose (the fact that SVCS's Web
site _still_ lists SVLUG as as SIG notwithstanding).

> [Ian] could, within the bylaws, remove the SIG Coordinator status from
> the SVLUG president and assign it to someone else.

And we would immediately, of course, say "The _hell_ you say", and walk.

> Ian has graciously allowed SVLUG to choose its presidents for the past
> three and a half years....

Oh, give me a break.

Folks, the gloves are starting to come off!  This tiny corporation is
now acting like it's entitled to be our feudal overlords.

No, Bill, I really don't think so.  But I thank you _indeed_ for
clarifying the SBAY attitude.  A clearer case for resumed independence
could not possibly have been stated.