[svlug] ISSUE: SVLUG's continued status with SBAY

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Feb 17 16:08:15 PST 2006

Quoting Chris Verges (chverges) (chverges at cisco.com):

> I believe Jennifer Davis said it best in her first e-mail in this
> thread.  Please reference.

I read it.  It didn't seem to say anything specific.

If you disagree, then please feel welcome to cite.

> This was one of Paul's initial points, that SVLUG needed money from SBAY
> to pay offsetting costs for various things like server colo and food
> costs.

Paul did _not_ say that.

Paul said that SBAY had not benefitted us in that (among other) areas,
since SVLUG has its own resources.

> Neither you nor I are official representatives of SBAY.  All I know is
> that SBAY needs to get insurance for SVWUX and Stratofox.  As such, they
> will have to find a way to afford it if they cannot already.  I think
> that it makes sense for SVLUG to enjoy this benefit too, since SVLUG
> definitely cannot afford it solo.

You've just spent a paragraph ignoring my point.  But you should
certainly raise this again if SBAY ever _does_ start footing the bill
for general liability insurance.

> Again, I am not talking about managing the DNS servers and entries, I'm
> talking about remembering to pay the renewal costs every
> one/two/three/etc. years.  Yes, we could do it internally, but we could
> also offload this to SBAY so that those same volunteers could be doing
> other things that are more productive.

You've again just spent a paragraph ignoring my point.

> Has SVLUG ever officially worked with another technical group?

Obvious example that comes to mind:  BayLISA and Taos Mountain for the
Future of Linux event.