[svlug] Argument in Favor of SVLUG continuing as a SIG of sbay.org

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Feb 15 20:59:43 PST 2006

Quoting Ian Kluft (ikluft at thunder.sbay.org):

[I'll refrain from comment, except concerning two items:]

> As SVCS began to collapse a few years ago, they wouldn't even respond
> to SVLUG, and then eventually disappeared.

SVCS's Web site remains continually out of date[1], but the group has in no
way "disappeared", and meetings occur monthly as always.  http://www.svcs.net/
(Note current-month meeting details for some SIGs, e.g., Digital Imaging
SIG at http://www.svcs.net/DISIG/SVCSImaging.html)

(I hear _somebody's_ been going around telling people that if SVLUG
resumes independence, it'll "disappear the way BAFUG did", when that
group recently separated from SBAY.  However, BAFUG = Bay Area FreeBSD
User Group actually remains quite healthy:  http://www.bafug.org/)

> (Note: as a 501(c)7 hobby club, though the organization will be exempt
> from paying taxes once the IRS confers this status....

This is sadly incorrect, and the group should make sure it understands
the tax provisions correctly.  You might wish to re-read IRS Publication
990, or at least this handy comparison chart:
http://members.aol.com/irsform1023/misc/comp501s.html

[1] This has always been the case, and in general you're best off
calling their general information number, 408-263-8768, rather than
looking to their Web site, for upcoming meeting details.  I just did,
and they're having one coming up about Microsoft Windows Vista, on the
3rd Thursday in March, which I'll recommend for those interested in the
topic.