[svlug] ot - mini-tutorials

Mark Weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Fri Apr 28 19:03:56 PDT 2006

On Friday 28 April 2006 17:54, Alvin Oga wrote:
> hi ya svlug'erz
>
> - a little off topic ..
>
> - is there anybody else out there that would like to
>   see some mini-tutorials ( to learn a new trick or two )
>   by going to informal mini-tutorial classes ??
>
> - the idea is to do in a hands-on-lab-session to make
>   things work ... this is diffferent than installfest,
>   since the machines in question is assumed to be installed
>   and working
>
> - topics of interests "might be", but not limited to
> 	- security stuff ..
> 	- office stuff == spam, virus, backups, vpn,vnc,..
> 	- cluster stuff ..
> 	- provisioning ..
>
> 	- endless list ..
>
> - people that "fixes" problems, the tutors, will probably be
>   compensated with at least ten-thousand pennies or other
>   motivating options that is of interest to them
> 	- hopefully, we can do 1-on-1 type of tutorials
>
> 	- bring your problems or questions and see if it
> 	can be solved .. sorta thing ..
>
> - tentative planning stages
> 	http://www.linux-consulting.com/Mini-Tutorial
Yes, excellent ideas. I'm interested. I've thought for  a long time that there
is a need for mini-tutorials or workshops on the topic you mention and more.
They would have a short plan or curriculum and maybe some advance study would
be recommended so people arrive best prepared to learn.

BTW, there was recently one of these hacked into a Saturday installfest. A
fellow on our list (Bob Smith) offered a tutorial/short course on programming
the AVR [1]

How can I help with this?
Mark
--------------------------------

[1] Here's some of what Bob wrote...
"Would you like to be able to program a microcontroller
using Linux and C?

If so, then please plan on joining us at the next Linux
installfest on Saturday, April 15, where we will have a
micro-seminar that shows how to install and use the AVR
tool chain for Linux.  At the seminar each attendee will
receive a hardware kit, a software CD, and help getting
it all installed and working.  At the end of the seminar
you will be able to program an AVR to flash at a rate
your program specifies.   (A flashing LED is the "hello
world" of microcontrollers.)"

--
Mark Weisler
mark at  weisler-saratoga-ca.us