[svlug] Aliased emails ala craigslist?

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Thu Apr 27 18:47:21 PDT 2006

Skip Evans writes:

> 4) The mail server hands the message off to my PHP
> script. *** This is the step I am clueless about ***
>
> [...]
>
> Everything above is pretty trivial for me except
> delivering the email message to my PHP script from
> the MTA.
>
> Is this possible? Where would I begin to research
> such a mechanism?

It depends what MTA you're using.  I just poked with Postfix, which
came with Ubuntu on my laptop, and sent a message to svlug just now
describing most of what you need.  About three lines of configuration
will give you a virtual domain that delivers all mail to the standard
input of a specified command.

Every MTA has its own documentation.  Sendmail's, for example, is a
heavy O'Reilly book that inspired jokes about whether you start to
mumble "defocus" in your sleep.

I feel skeptical of using PHP for this application, because I associate
it with web scripting and not with general-purpose programming.  But it
_is_ Turing-complete...

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | This is a new focus for the security
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   | community. The actual user of the PC