[svlug] Aliased emails ala craigslist?

Skip Evans skip at bigskypenguin.com
Thu Apr 27 18:28:18 PDT 2006

Seth David Schoen wrote:
> Presumably the various MDAs have options to allow you to do wildcard
> delivery so that any message to an address at a particular domain
> gets delivered to a particular account, or, better, a particular
> program.

Ideally, it seems to me that the last bit above
would be the best solution. If I could get the
email message handed over to a PHP script I would
write, I should be able to do the following:

1) The user creates a post and chooses to use an
email alias.

2) The application then stores his post with both
the alias email and real email in the database.

3) A reply to this post, including the alias email
address, is sent to the mail server.

4) The mail server hands the message off to my PHP
script. *** This is the step I am clueless about ***

5) The PHP script does a simple SQL query to get
the real email address from the post record and
sends the message to the poster of the message.

Everything above is pretty trivial for me except
delivering the email message to my PHP script from
the MTA.

Is this possible? Where would I begin to research
such a mechanism?

--
Skip Evans
Big Sky Penguin, LLC