[svlug] Internet Neutrality Legislation

Skip Evans skip at bigskypenguin.com
Wed Apr 26 16:42:33 PDT 2006

Hey all,

I know this has been discussed before, but here is
the latest development in what has been called the
"Internet neutrality" legislation.

I believe there was discussion before about
whether or not this is real or a "wild goose
chase." It is real, and has been pointed out,
legislation does not get bill numbers until they
leave committee, as it looks like this one will
soon, but as of yet I don't believe there is a
bill number.

"Today, a Republican-dominated House Committee
caved to telecom companies like AT&T and voted to
gut Net Neutrality, the Internet's First
Amendment. It's too bad we lost the vote, but more
important votes on this issue are coming—and what
the big telecom companies weren't expecting was
that we'd get as many votes as we did."

You can see how the vote went here:

http://www.savetheinternet.com/=count

--