[svlug] Installing Debian

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Tue Apr 25 22:31:42 PDT 2006

Hi folks,

Well, I finally got around to installing debian on a
server here. Hmm, been meaning to do that for a long
time.

I did a network install of testing.

I thought the install process was clean and succinct.
It was quite a painless process -- and quick too. And
the installer thought it was a good install too.

But, after completion of the install and a reboot, the
system puked during initialization, falling back into
a root shell... Hmmm. (smiles ;) Well, at least it
was slick enough not to just hang. I don't really need
this server online in a hurry, so it isn't an issue.

I'll fool around with it in my spare time. Not asking
for help, just commenting on the bad install. FC5
installs on this server without any problems. Admittedly,
it requires a lot more time to do the install, but it
actually boots up and runs, when it is done.

Thanks,
Karen
--
 Karen Shaeffer