[svlug] DVD RAM?

Skip Evans skip at bigskypenguin.com
Mon Apr 24 18:44:55 PDT 2006

Hey all,

We just built a new workstation here, and when
buying pieces parts, a DVD RAM drive was cheap
enough that we decided to get that instead of the
more common DVD-RW drive.

I'd like to use it for the daily backups of our
servers that I take off-site with me, but am
wondering if anyone has any recommendations for
software to burn to the DVD RAM the tar.gz files
the servers create.

Right now, the servers create these files locally,
and then copy them over to a workstation that I
fire up k3b on and burn them to a CD to take home
with me. I'm okay with this partly
automatic/partly manual procedure; it gets the
tar.gz files to a second machine for in-house
backup, and also lets me burn a CD to take home
with me for off-site.

Is k3b okay for doing DVD RAM also, or is there
another program someone would recommend?

The workstation is running the latest Debian
Sarge, so ideally I'd like to just apt-get install
something and be good to go.

Thanks!
--
Skip Evans