[svlug] Skype/Comcast

Mark S Bilk mark at cosmicpenguin.com
Mon Apr 24 08:36:55 PDT 2006

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 07:29:36AM -0700, John Conover wrote:

>Anyone using Skype with Comcast on Linux in the BA?
>
>       Thanks,
>       John

I've used it -- version 1.2.0.11 -- works OK.  I talked with a guy
in Belgium, after we reconnected a couple of times; the first two
connections were choppy.  I use a $2 crystal mike, and earphones
to avoid feedback.

If I hang up in the middle of a call, skype prints (in the terminal
window where I ran it) "/dev/dsp-1: Device or resource busy".  When
I try to make another call, it repeats that message, and also says
"Problem with sound device" in its GUI window.  I have to kill it
(^C in the terminal) and restart it.  That's good enough -- I don't
mind having to hit ^C Up Enter between calls.  If I let the other
party (the Echo test system, at least) hang up, then I don't get
the error.

I just tried the Echo test, and it works, so Comcast isn't blocking
its ports, at least with version 1.2.0.11 .

  Mark