[svlug] Call to Awareness.

Alan yosemite at programmer.net
Sun Apr 23 02:59:31 PDT 2006

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 22:54:43 -0700, James Sparenberg <james at linuxrebel.org> wrote:

>All,
>
>  Though I realize political seems to not be the major thrust of many
>here there does come a time when it's something that has a very
>direct affect on each and every one of us.  This is in the form of
>House Bill called the COPE act which is aimed at removing network
>neutrality (meaning no favoritism or blocking of competitors.)  and
>moving toward a tiered Internet where only approved traffic
>(read "paid enough under the table traffic) can be accessed by you.
>Period.
>
>  So far out of the two reps in CA 1 voted to maintain neutrality and
>the other sided with AT&T.  Check out http://www.savetheinternet.com/
>make your own decision and take the actions you feel are correct.
>This can and does IMHO, directly affect most of our jobs.  Most of
>our families.  Read what Dr. Larry Lessig and others have to say.
>IANAL but they are.
>
>Respectfully,
>James Sparenberg

Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in the dictionary?

First of all, try to get even the BASIC facts straight.

California has FIFTY-THREE Representatives, not two.

Secondly, a cursory check of the internet you claim to want to
protect shows that Rep Barton has a grand total of 11 bills
that he has sponsored which are currently alive, NONE of
which is AT ALL related to the claims on that web site.
(Go to http://thomas.loc.gov/ , check Find Bills By Sponsor)

That "save the internet" site is oddly careful NOT to give any specific legislation
links or bill numbers.  That should tip you off right there.

If you are going to send SVLUG members on a wild political goose
chase, at least make sure you've verified that at least one
such goose actually exists.  Start with a bill # and some pertinent
quotes from the text of proposed law.