[svlug] Airlink awlh3026 linux driver

Joe Buck Joe.Buck at synopsys.COM
Tue Apr 18 15:31:40 PDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 09:43:34AM -0700, bruce wrote:
> and i'm still trying to find exact instructions for a given card that will
> allow me to have wireless access.. i'm in the bay area, and will gladly do
> lucn with someone if i can figure this out...

Sigh.  You appear to be taking an extremely risk-averse approach.  I'll
try to give you some explicit instructions.  These directions apply only
to Fedora Core 4.

Get a card.  Put it in.  First, see if it is properly auto-detected.
Select "Hardware Browser" from the "System Tools" menu.  Ignore the
warnings.  Click under "Network devices" and see if your wireless
card is detected.  If so, you're in luck.  Let's assume you're lucky.
With an older Prism2/Orinoco card you should be.  If it is not detected,
there's a possibility that you have the right driver but the device is not
identified correctly; in that case a tweak to the appropriate files
under /etc/sysconfig might be needed.

I'll give you the "supported" method now, for which there is some online
help.  It has several limitations: it doesn't do WPA (though it does do
WEP), and either you need to specify the ESSID or, if you select "Auto",
it will latch onto the strongest signal which might not be the one you
want.  There's an alternative, NetworkManager, that doesn't suffer from
these limitations, but let's try to get you going first.

Click the Applications menu.  Select "Network Device Control" from the
"System Tools" menu.  Choose "Configure".  You will probably see two
network devices, corresponding to your wireless and your wired connection.
Select the one corresponding to your wireless connection (you should see
an icon making clear which is which).

Click "Edit".  You should see a tab corresponding to "Wireless Settings".
Here you can set the ESSID and password you want to use.  You'll also want
to choose "Automatically obtain IP address settings with dchp".

Once you have this set up, you can activate the device and be in business.