[svlug] Airlink awlh3026 linux driver

Joe Buck Joe.Buck at synopsys.COM
Tue Apr 18 09:32:22 PDT 2006

On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 06:36:03PM -0700, Akkana Peck wrote:
> Joe Buck writes:
> > On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 04:46:00PM -0700, bruce wrote:
> > > i've faced the same issue for months in trying to figure out how the h*l i'm
> > > supposed to get a wireless access working with FC4.. i've yet to find
> > > instructions on exactly how to accomplish this.
> >
> > I would suggest getting a PCMCIA card that is listed as green on the
> > http://linux-wless.passys.nl/ site,and just trying it.  Go to a place
> > like Fry's, so if you wind up getting something that doesn't work, you
> > can take it back.
>
> Caution: green on pages like that means "a working driver exists
> somewhere if you dig for it and figure out how to configure it"
> (notice the "Driver available at" links on the right), not
> "the driver is built into nearly all modern distro kernels
> along with any firmware it might need in order to run".

Right, but he was talking about FC4, not "nearly all modern distro
kernels".  I would have been much more cautious with a Debian user, since
Debian emphasizes stability while Fedora emphasizes "cutting edge".  FC4
(after "yum update", not as shipped) has a 2.6.16-based kernel.  A lot
more "just works" if you have the latest.

As you say, it is advisable to follow the links on the linux-wless site
to verify the requirements.

> If you want fairly painless (if somewhat limited) wireless, try to
> find an old Prism2/Orinoco based card.

It is no longer "somewhat limited"; I have one and scanning now works
for those who have a 2.6.14 or newer kernel.

> Any modern distro should support a Prism2 card out of the box.
> You won't be able to do fancy tricks like iwlist or ethereal, but
> they're fine for your basic "plug in the card and have a network".

As I said, if you have a new enough kernel you most certainly can do
iwlist on a Prism2 card (like the one in my Dell laptop).