[svlug] Installing Red Hat Enterprise Linux from the Source RPMS

Walt Reed svlug at linuxguy.com
Thu Apr 13 13:53:49 PDT 2006

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 03:42:16PM -0400, Walt Reed said:
> On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 11:04:23AM -0700, Joe Buck said:
> > On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 08:52:11AM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> > > I'm all for CentOS, and I think it's important to have
> > > it, but I'm uncomfortable with using it as a way to
> > > pay proprietary vendors but not a free/open source
> > > vendor.  Reinforcing the wrong behavior like that
> >
> > If you're buying proprietary software, you should have no objection
> > to paying Red Hat, when you will pay the other vendors far more.

OK, for grins, I went out and got a quote from RedHat for our servers.

$186,000 for 3 years. That's the "volume user multi-year" discounted
number.

Veritas licenses, BTW, ran $32,000 for a perpetual license with 3 yeras
support.  Additional years are $7K / year. Redhat would cost me $62K /
year since it is subscription ONLY. Care to calculate 10 year costs?

Bottom line is the numbers don't support your assertion that if you
buy proprietary sofware that you should have no objection to paying RH.
The objection is reasonable and economically sound, and relates to the
insane (IMHO) "subscription only" license model.

BTW, the RH costs are higher than Windows server costs for the same
number of machines. That just doesn't fly with management.