[svlug] LFS lameness (was: Installing Red Hat Enterprise Linux from the Source RPMS)

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Thu Apr 13 09:03:22 PDT 2006

begin Rick Moen quotation of Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 08:26:48AM -0700:

> And, hey, everyone uses wget, right?  I mean, you'd hang your head in
> shame if you were publishing an enterprise Linux distribution in 2006
> whose copy of wget segfaults when a DVD image being retrieved passes
> 2147483647 bytes, right?

RHEL 3 did come out in 2003
http://www.redhat.com/about/news/prarchive/2003/press_supportavailability.html

and the old "Red Hat Linux" had LFS baked in as
of 8.0, which came out in 2002.
http://www.suse.de/~aj/linux_lfs.html

You point out that RHEL 3 was based on Red Hat Linux 9
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/RedHat/rh-releases.html

so it's kind of surprising that they don't have LFS
in RHEL 3.

I can see why you'd want a security-fixes-only
distribution with support for production servers (it
probably wouldn't be my first choice for a laptop,
though) but the jump backward in LFS support from the
"base" distro to the RHEL version is weird.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
dmarti at zgp.org