[svlug] Problem writing CD

Tony Hartzell hartzellt at charter.net
Wed Apr 12 16:15:22 PDT 2006

   I had a similar problem...I worked around it by inserting another
section in /boot/grub/menu.lis with hdb=ide=scsi tacked onto the end of
the 'kernel' line. (hdb being the controller for my CD writer.)

I.e.;
title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.27-2-386 ide-scsi
root		(hd0,1)
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27-2-386 root=/dev/hda2 ro
hdb=ide-scsi
initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.4.27-2-386
savedefault
boot

   Note that CDs won't auto-play with this configuration, so I generally
only boot into this config when I want to burn CDs.
		Tony Hartzell