[svlug] Need advice about Firestarter or Guarddog,Guidedog

Norman Shapiro norm at dad.dad.org
Wed Apr 12 13:02:12 PDT 2006

Joe Buck <Joe.Buck at synopsys.COM> writes:
>On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 04:39:05PM -0700, Norman Shapiro wrote:
>> I'm running RedHat Linux 9. using a firewall/masquerading script written years
>> ago by a very smart, very knowledgeable person whom most of you know.
>
>I'd be rather nervous about running an ancient and unmaintained Linux
>distro and just relying on a firewall that runs on top of that ancient and
>unmaintained distro for security.

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to answer my query.

The main reason I want to stop relying on the script is so that I can upgrade or
change the distribution I use without having to make somebody else modify the
firewall/masquerading script. It consists of 65 calls to iptables, almost none
of which I understand.

    Norman Shapiro
    798 Barron Avenue
    Palo Alto CA 94306-3109