[svlug] Installing Red Hat Enterprise Linux from the Source RPMS

Joe Buck Joe.Buck at synopsys.COM
Wed Apr 12 11:04:23 PDT 2006

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 08:52:11AM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> I'm all for CentOS, and I think it's important to have
> it, but I'm uncomfortable with using it as a way to
> pay proprietary vendors but not a free/open source
> vendor.  Reinforcing the wrong behavior like that
> seems counterproductive in the long run, since even
> software company executives are capable of conditioned
> learning.  So I would never lie to a support person
> about whether or not I was running RHEL.

It gets worse.

Some of those proprietary vendors have support arrangements from Red Hat.
If you lie and say that you have RHEL, and you have problems that the
vendor can't solve, they may go to Red Hat for help, and Red Hat will
waste resources helping you that they think are going to help paying
customers.  You are engaging in fraud if you lie to a vendor that you
have RHEL, because what you are saying is "We have a support contract
from Red Hat" when you do not.  If you provide hosting services to the
public and you change the CentOS info to the corresponding RHEL info
you are defrauding the public, because you are saying not only that
the software matches that of an RHEL system (it does), but you are saying
that you have Red Hat support (and you don't).

I'm fine with people running CentOS, as its availability is part of
the deal Red Hat has to make when they build their system on GPL code:
they have to put the source out and let others use it.

If you're buying proprietary software, you should have no objection
to paying Red Hat, when you will pay the other vendors far more.
Some of the money you pay will fund hundreds of free software developers.
If you're not buying proprietary software and just want a solid server
distro, by all means use CentOS if you like it.

You may not like Red Hat's arrangement that allows them to charge for
RHEL.  Fine; use a different distro, use CentOS, whatever.