[svlug] Broken X11 on Debian, how to safely downgrade?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Apr 12 10:31:25 PDT 2006

Quoting stripes (stripes at tigerlair.com):

> My X is wonked, and I really need to get it fixed. What's the best way
> to downgrade?

Would you be satisfied with fetching the same package again and
hammering it in, or do you need to literally back-rev?
If the former, do "sudo apt-get --reinstall install xserver-{xorg|xfree86}".

If the latter, I personally just grovel through the pool tree, fetch the
package I want (e.g., from
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xorg/), and then do
"sudo dpkg -i [packagename]".  Which might be suboptimal or hamhanded
for all I know, but it's one of those approaches you encounter
empirically and then quit thinking about better ways because you've
found a technique that's good enough.

There might be other hoops to jump through, but I can't remember them
offhand.

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                                                    Habetis bona deum.
rick at linuxmafia.com