[svlug] Installing Red Hat Enterprise Linux from the Source RPMS

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Wed Apr 12 08:52:11 PDT 2006

begin Walt Reed quotation of Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 09:03:07AM -0400:
> FWIW, I have found that every commercial package that I have used, such
> as EMC binary drivers and applications, Veritas Netbackup Enterprise, HP
> PSP binary drivers and applicationsi, etc. work flawlessly on CentOS
> with the single change of the /etc/redhat-release file to match real
> redhat content (which some of the installers check for.)

I'm just going to pop up with a long-term view.
If a company has the budget for EMC or Veritas,
shouldn't it have the budget for "official" RHEL?

Admittedly, there are other ways to throw your
company's support at Linux development than writing
a check to Red Hat, but if the company is not doing
the others, the "we have to get real RHEL in order
to get support for our expensive stuff" argument is
probably the easiest way to get a company to offer
financial support for Linux.  Red Hat does employ
kernel developers and people who work on other
generally useful projects such as gcc.

I'm all for CentOS, and I think it's important to have
it, but I'm uncomfortable with using it as a way to
pay proprietary vendors but not a free/open source
vendor.  Reinforcing the wrong behavior like that
seems counterproductive in the long run, since even
software company executives are capable of conditioned
learning.  So I would never lie to a support person
about whether or not I was running RHEL.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
dmarti at zgp.org