[svlug] Need advice about Firestarter or Guarddog,Guidedog

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Wed Apr 12 07:20:53 PDT 2006

Norman Shapiro wrote:

> So my questions are:
>
>   If I switch to KDE will I still be able to use the Gnome based Firestarter,
>   without temporarily switching back go Gnome. That is, will Firestarter run
>   under KDE, provided of course that I still have all the Gnome libraries and
>   other Gnome infrastructure?

Yes.  I do this myself.  Gnome apps are built using the GTK toolkit, so
as if you have the GTK pacakges installed (which you would if you have
gnome installed) there's no problem.  I run many GTK apps under KDE -
firestarter, firefox, eclipse, etc.

>   Will I be able to use the KDE based Guarddog,Guidedog under Gnome. provided of
>   course that I have all the KDE libraries and other KDE infrastructure?

I haven't used this app specifically, but again as long as the
appropriate GUI toolkit and libraries are installed (in KDE's case, the
QT tookit, plus probably the kdebase package) you shouldn't have any
problems.  Linux desktop environments are very interchangeable in this way.

HTH,

DR