[svlug] Need advice about Firestarter or Guarddog,Guidedog

Norman Shapiro norm at dad.dad.org
Tue Apr 11 16:39:05 PDT 2006

I'm running RedHat Linux 9. using a firewall/masquerading script written years
ago by a very smart, very knowledgeable person whom most of you know.

The problem with the script is that every time I need to change a detail about
it, or change or even upgrade my operating system, the author needs to change
the script for me.

The May 2006 Issue of Linux Journal mentioned two systems for a GUI based
firewall/masquerading that might solve this problem for me: Firestarter and
Guarddog,Guidedog.

Firestarter is Gnome based; Guarddog,Guidedog is KDE based.

I'm presently using Gnome (more accurately, RedHat's customization of Gnome)
because that's the default for RedHat 9. I don't much like Gnome and am
vaguely planning to switch to KDE, though I don't know if I'll ever get around
to it.

So my questions are:

  If I switch to KDE will I still be able to use the Gnome based Firestarter,
  without temporarily switching back go Gnome. That is, will Firestarter run
  under KDE, provided of course that I still have all the Gnome libraries and
  other Gnome infrastructure?

  Will I be able to use the KDE based Guarddog,Guidedog under Gnome. provided of
  course that I have all the KDE libraries and other KDE infrastructure?

  What other questions should I have asked?

    Norman Shapiro
    798 Barron Avenue
    Palo Alto CA 94306-3109
    (650) 565-8215