[svlug] Installing Red Hat Enterprise Linux from the Source RPMS

Joe Buck Joe.Buck at synopsys.COM
Tue Apr 11 14:06:28 PDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 04:31:11PM -0400, Walt Reed wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 11:00:31AM -0700, de Runtz, Lars said:
> > How hard is it to Install Red Hat Enterprise Linux from the Source RPMS?
> >
> > I've only installed from ISO images.  Is it something that can be done at an installfest?
>
> Just curious: WHY would you want to install an entire distribution from
> source?

In the case of RHEL, maybe because Red Hat releases the source to the
general public, but the binaries only to paying customers, and he does
not wish to pay?

> But to answer your question, there would not be enough time in an
> installfest to do that. Furthermore, there isn't a simple bootstrapping
> process generally available like there is for Gentoo, but this may be
> something you can ask about from the people who do this, like the CentOS
> folks.
>
> The bottom line is that the bootstrapping process requires a starting
> point of a binary kernel, compiler, and associated "base" shell and
> development tools. It's a good sized chunk of stuff.

That's exactly what CentOS is: the RHEL sources, bootstrapped to make
binaries, with the Red Hat trademark stuff stripped out.  I don't know
if CentOS has documented the process they use or not.