[svlug] Installing Red Hat Enterprise Linux from the Source RPMS

Walt Reed svlug at linuxguy.com
Tue Apr 11 13:31:11 PDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 11:00:31AM -0700, de Runtz, Lars said:
> How hard is it to Install Red Hat Enterprise Linux from the Source RPMS?
>
> I've only installed from ISO images.  Is it something that can be done at an installfest?

Just curious: WHY would you want to install an entire distribution from
source?

But to answer your question, there would not be enough time in an
installfest to do that. Furthermore, there isn't a simple bootstrapping
process generally available like there is for Gentoo, but this may be
something you can ask about from the people who do this, like the CentOS
folks.

The bottom line is that the bootstrapping process requires a starting
point of a binary kernel, compiler, and associated "base" shell and
development tools. It's a good sized chunk of stuff.