[svlug] No Networking In Gentoo

M Nakamura masayang.mobile at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 23:57:04 PDT 2006

2006/4/10, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail at webthatworks.it>:
> On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 04:58:43 +0900
> "M Nakamura" <masayang.mobile at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I haven't tried the graphical installer...
>
> OK... is there a non gui installer that works similarly to Debian sid?

Isn't Install CD with shell prompt installer?:)

> Last time I tried Gentoo and it was a long time ago, you had to type stuff that are so common in an installation but that if you're not a sysadmin you'll have to type once or twice in a *year*.

I'm a control freak and that's why I prefer gentoo.

> I tend to be a bit paranoid about how long will it take to be up and running in the shortest time possible starting with the bare minimum: PC + network connection + netinstall CD.
> With Debian I don't have to read any "how-to" on the net to have a working system.
> With Gentoo I always had to have another PC on to follow the recipe.
>
> Any news? Now most of the boxes have 2.4GHz P4+ CPU and over 500Mb RAM. I won't have to wait 4 days to have KDE running ;)

Use PKG if you are in hurry.

I once installed gentoo on my old Toshiba Libretto which had 100MHz
486DX with 20MB RAM. Booting from install CD was a bit tricky. By
eliminating XFree86 and using stage-3 installation, it took just a
couple of hours to go, though.
--
M Nakamura