[svlug] No Networking In Gentoo

Lord Sauron lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 13:57:46 PDT 2006

On 4/9/06, M Nakamura <masayang.mobile at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not a gentoo master however I've been using gentoo since 1.2 so I
> thought I could help you...
>
> 2006/4/10, Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com>:
> > Hello,
> >
> > 1) Yes, I did say Gentoo.  Their new graphical installer on their
> > live-cd is really quite nice.  Next time I'm at a installfest I'll
> > have to demo it.  I know as well as all of you that I can't make it
> > through a stage 3 install by myself, much less a stage 1.
>
> I haven't tried the graphical installer...

Wait a year.  It's not "all there" yet.

> > Anyways, the networking isn't working.  My current networking model is
> > to auto-negotiate via the DHCP Host, however, when Gentoo goes to
> > bring eth0 on-line, it fails to get an IP address and other such
> > things.
>
> What does the system say when you type "netstat -a"?
> I found kernel 2.6.15 sometimes detects the first network card as
> eth1, especially if I configure it with genkernel.

I didn't see any IPs or any mention if any eth* -s, so I'm assuming
that nothing's working.

> One more question. Did the installer detect the network card and got
> IP address from dhcp server? If yes, you can get the kernel
> configuration from "/proc/config.gz". Copy and uncompress it into
> /usr/src/linux, then run genkernel with --oldconfig option.

Well, there was nothing in /usr/src/linux.  I copied the sources from
my laptop to there in case I needed to re-build the kernel.  However,
by now it appears that the cards work fine, it's just that they're not
being properly used (dhcpcd, I think).

> > I'm not a networking master, and I'm at a total loss for how to
> > correct this problem.  I'm also not entirely sure my networking card
> > is properly installed.  I don't know if it's been properly built into
> > the kernel.  The card is a Netgear 100/10 PCI card - really generic.
>
> Did you try 'lspci' or 'lsmod'? Maybe you did...

Never knew about either of those...

lspci shows the two NICs just fine.  I can't see anything that could
have to do with them in lsmod.

> > To try and fix this, I put another card (a Linksys 100/10 PCI) in to
> > see if that'd work.  They both are side-by-side, I didn't physically
> > switch them.  If this gets any weirder, I have a 3com 100/10 PCI card
> > I can try as well (and just enough PCI ports to do it!)
> >
> > The machine is working with Kernel version 2.6.15 (gentoo), built
> > using Genkernel, which I have no idea how to use.  On my laptop (which
> > *successfully* uses Gentoo - yay!) I use make to build my kernel from
> > the /usr/src/linux directory.  I copied (via USB Disk) the kernel
> > sources from my laptop to my server (which is the machine in question,
> > a beautiful rig[1])  However, I'm reluctant to actually rebuild the
> > kernel from these sources, which are still configured for my laptop
> > (it'd be a long proceedure to # make menuconfig all the stuff out of
> > it)
>
> Again, if the installer CD could obtain the ip address, you better use
> its config.gz rather than your laptop's one.

Okay.  So I just copy that config.gz to the sources I took from my
laptop and that'll axe the laptop's config files, replacing it with
the installer's, so that I can use make menuconfig like normal?

> > My best guess is that the thing is not trying to auto-negotiate with
> > the DHCP.  When the DHCP refuses my machines, the thing still tries to
> > ping with various timeouts, which takes a long time.  On this machine,
> > however, it just zips by without getting a IP.  I'm really concerned,
> > because this machine is my server, and I want to have it up and
> > running so that the moment I get a static IP to begin hosting I can
> > just plug it in and go.
>
> AFAIK,  gentoo uses dhcpcd which has 180sec timeout without any
> retrying. It's different from other distros which use 'pump'.

I just wish they'd background it so that whenever I boot my laptop w/o
internet it won't sit there for 180 secs pinging up /dev/null.

> > However, it does have Gnome installed as a graphical backup for the
> > things I don't know how to do without to GUI.  I make a project of it,
> > and try to take one GUI-oriented task per week and learn how to do it
> > in the CLI - very fun!
> >
> > Thanks for any help!  In the mean-time, I'll be combing the big and
> > ancient book "linux in a nutshell" to try and find something helpful.
> > It's an older copy, so it can't be trusted 100% of the time, but it's
> > still good.
>
> You can find a lot of resources on http://www.gentoo.org/ or
> http://forums.gentoo.org/

Yes, I am subscribed to the Gentoo User's list, however, I've been
active on there for a little bit, and decided that SVLUG was more or
less full of hardened networking gurus, and that the Gentoo list
needed a break from my annoying newbie problems : )  I call it list
distribution.

> Hav fun!

Trust me, I am.

--