[svlug] No Networking In Gentoo

Lord Sauron lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 13:38:24 PDT 2006

On 4/9/06, Jeff Walter <jeffw at gentoo.org> wrote:
> Lord Sauron wrote:
> > Anyways, the networking isn't working.  My current networking model is
> > to auto-negotiate via the DHCP Host, however, when Gentoo goes to
> > bring eth0 on-line, it fails to get an IP address and other such
> > things.
> <snip />
> > My best guess is that the thing is not trying to auto-negotiate with
> > the DHCP.  When the DHCP refuses my machines, the thing still tries to
> > ping with various timeouts, which takes a long time.  On this machine,
> > however, it just zips by without getting a IP.  I'm really concerned,
> > because this machine is my server, and I want to have it up and
> > running so that the moment I get a static IP to begin hosting I can
> > just plug it in and go.
>
>      When the system tries to start eth0, are there any error messages?  Can you
> run `dhcpcd` or `dhclient` from the command line by hand?  What happens if you
> do an `ifconfig -a`?

When the system starts, this is what it does:

* Starting eth0
*  Bringing up eth0
*   dhcp
*    Running dhcpdc ....
                        [ !! ]
* Starting cupsd ...
                          [ ok]
* ERROR: Problem starting needed services.  "netmount" was not started.
* ERROR: Problem starting needed services.  "samba" was not started.
* ERROR: Problem starting needed services.  "sshd" was not started.

Sorry for any typos - I was transposing from screen to screen without
looking at my laptop's keyboard or screen.  Dysgaphia...  does wonders
to the brain ; )

Anyways,

I tried this:

localhost ~ # dhcpcd

and it did nothing.  I then annexed " eth0" to that (I figured it
couldn't hurt to try) and it didn't do anything.  dhclient says that
the command isn't found.

ifconfig -a reveals something very interesting...

eth1: Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:04:5A:8c... the rest of the MAC
address, I think
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
Interrupt:11 base address:0xa000

eth2: (the same)
interrupt:10 base address:0xc000

So, I take it that my NICs are detected and properly installed...

I just piped the same command through less to see the first bit:

eth0 Linuk encap: UNSPEC HWaddr 00-11-06-00-00-00-39-CA-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
and then some packet stats which all read zero.

That isn't a valid MAC, is it?  I don't think this eth0 is really
valid.  So now...  how do I kill it and substitude the apparently
working but not configured/used eth1 and eth2?

BTW: thanks for those commands - I didn't know about them.

--
GCS d-(++) s+: a? C++ UL+>++++ P+