[svlug] No Networking In Gentoo

Lord Sauron lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 08:56:05 PDT 2006

Hello,

1) Yes, I did say Gentoo.  Their new graphical installer on their
live-cd is really quite nice.  Next time I'm at a installfest I'll
have to demo it.  I know as well as all of you that I can't make it
through a stage 3 install by myself, much less a stage 1.

Anyways, the networking isn't working.  My current networking model is
to auto-negotiate via the DHCP Host, however, when Gentoo goes to
bring eth0 on-line, it fails to get an IP address and other such
things.

I'm not a networking master, and I'm at a total loss for how to
correct this problem.  I'm also not entirely sure my networking card
is properly installed.  I don't know if it's been properly built into
the kernel.  The card is a Netgear 100/10 PCI card - really generic.

To try and fix this, I put another card (a Linksys 100/10 PCI) in to
see if that'd work.  They both are side-by-side, I didn't physically
switch them.  If this gets any weirder, I have a 3com 100/10 PCI card
I can try as well (and just enough PCI ports to do it!)

The machine is working with Kernel version 2.6.15 (gentoo), built
using Genkernel, which I have no idea how to use.  On my laptop (which
*successfully* uses Gentoo - yay!) I use make to build my kernel from
the /usr/src/linux directory.  I copied (via USB Disk) the kernel
sources from my laptop to my server (which is the machine in question,
a beautiful rig[1])  However, I'm reluctant to actually rebuild the
kernel from these sources, which are still configured for my laptop
(it'd be a long proceedure to # make menuconfig all the stuff out of
it)

My best guess is that the thing is not trying to auto-negotiate with
the DHCP.  When the DHCP refuses my machines, the thing still tries to
ping with various timeouts, which takes a long time.  On this machine,
however, it just zips by without getting a IP.  I'm really concerned,
because this machine is my server, and I want to have it up and
running so that the moment I get a static IP to begin hosting I can
just plug it in and go.

The machine boots without starting X, because I'm trying to enforce
more of a command-line literacy on my part (I'm doing very well,
thank-you!  Naw, I'm learning loads, but I'm still not totally
literate.  I'm getting better though, and that's what counts!)

However, it does have Gnome installed as a graphical backup for the
things I don't know how to do without to GUI.  I make a project of it,
and try to take one GUI-oriented task per week and learn how to do it
in the CLI - very fun!

Thanks for any help!  In the mean-time, I'll be combing the big and
ancient book "linux in a nutshell" to try and find something helpful.
It's an older copy, so it can't be trusted 100% of the time, but it's
still good.

[1]
o AMD Athlon1400 1.4GHz/266MHz FSB Socket A T-Bird Core
o 512 MB RAM
o 61 GB IBM DeathStar HDD (expecting it to kick the can any moment now ; )
o 30 GB IBM DeathStar HDD (same)
o LG CD Writer
o nVidia GeForce 4 MX 4000 128MB AGP 4x
o Linksys 100/10 PCI NIC
o Netgear 100/10 PCI NIC
o Assembled with Authentic Duct-Tape (had to tape a few drives down -
long story)

--
GCS d-(++) s+: a? C++ UL+>++++ P+