[svlug] blade servers, clustering, high availability Linux

Marc M linuxr at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 13:41:36 PDT 2006

I am currently testing an IBM LS20 bladecenter.  It has dual core opteron
2.4 GHZ blades, a 14-u chassis and goes up to 16 GB ram per blade, dual 73 g
hard drives.  It was loaned to us with a x346 server as a management
server.  Red Hat EL 4 update 2 runs fine on the blades and the management
server.  It is the first blade I have used so I am not sure how it stacks up
to others.  I have spoken with a Fujitsu rep and they make some high end
stuff and I hope to see some of that.  On the back of the IBM there are dual
power 30A and room for four modules which can be
infiniband/san/ethernet/cisco.  There are dual management modules that are
managed through a nifty web interface for things like temp/system health,
poweron/off status, etc., and also the cisco module has a similar interface
where you can start/stop ports etc.  Each blade has a 'virtual' port for
vlans, and both the blades and the management server have dual nics so you
can put them on seperate 192 subnets for example, or restrict traffic
however you want it.

Let me know any questions you may have and I will try to answer them if they
aren't already on the IBM site in their list of specs.  This is still a work
in progress.  The only problem that I have seen is that multiple reboots
tend to fill up the chipset that they have which will cause an led to go
amber, not a big deal since you can manage remotely. Also chipkill in some
of the ram may have to be set manually; if not it may have problems with
data hanging.

Marc