[svlug] configuring X to accept external connections

Graham Cole diakka at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 09:32:24 PDT 2006

Used to be that -X was the default on ssh connections, but now you have
to specify it explicitly to be able to forward X connections across an
ssh tunnel.

Also another trick I've been using a lot lately is to use ssh port
forwarding in combination with the X/VNC capability that David mentions.
(Which, BTW works for Gnome as well).  In FC5, on the remote host, you
can run the program 'vino-preferences'  or run it from the Menu,
System->Preferences->Remote Desktop .  Be sure to unclick the "ask you
for confirmation", and click "Allow other users to view your desktop"
and "Allow other users to control your desktop".  Then when you ssh into
the box like so:
ssh -L 5901:localhost:5900 user at remhost

Then you can connect a vncviewer to your local ssh forwarded port:
vncviewer :1

-Graham