[svlug] configuring X to accept external connections

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 7 09:24:39 PDT 2006

David,

--- David Rosenstrauch <darose at darose.net> wrote:

> IIRC, recent versions of KDE have a feature built into it that let
> you
> quickly and easily turn on remote access to your KDE session.  Maybe
> that would be sufficient?

that is most likely with regard to vnc connections.

I am not sure about FC5 since I never ran it but in SuSE past 9.1
remote X connections are turned off by default which is a RPITA.

So this is what you need to do:

- run ps -ef and see whether you X server runs with the argument
"nolisten tcp"

- then if you are running KDE's kdm find the file kdmrc which might
reside in /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm , then find the line which says:
ServerArgsLocal=-nolisten tcp
and put a comment ("#") in front of it...

Obviously, if you do this on a server facing the hostile hoards of evil
script kiddies and botswinging east european teenagers you are going to
risk getting you little box in trouble but you would't run X on a front
facing server now would you...

Good luck
Roland
PS: Did I mention to restart kdm (not just X) rckdm or /etc/init.d/xdm
restart and on and on and on....