[svlug] blade servers, clustering, high availability Linux

George Georgalis george at galis.org
Thu Apr 6 22:06:16 PDT 2006

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 11:22:23AM -0700, Tin Le wrote:

>I was wondering if anyone has experience with blade servers and Linux.
>Good, bad, recommendations are all appreciated.  I need to put the
>systems together soon, ready to buy, just want to make sure I buy the
>right one.  Suggestions as to other vendors to look at is also
>appreciated.

Well I'm having some trouble getting netbsd on
penguincomputing.com bladerunner, but linux should run fine.
you can put 12 dual opterons in 5-u, and their power use is
very low, compared to 1-u dual ixeons. here's some photos,
http://galis.org/blade-penguincomputing/notes.html
there's a RH dmesg in the discussion thread linked at top.

the net interface require a kernel module with some binary
parts... http://galis.org/blade-penguincomputing/tg3-3.43b/
but penguin computing is interested in getting 100% open driver;
I guess we are waiting for some Broadcom technical programmers
manual.

// George

http://galis.org/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org