[svlug] blade servers, clustering, high availability Linux

Walt Reed svlug at linuxguy.com
Thu Apr 6 11:55:30 PDT 2006

The only thing I find really annoying with the HP blades is their DC
power bus bars. I suggest visiting a site that has the HP and IBM blades
and seeing how they are to deal with. The other thing I noticed is that
with the bus bars in normal production configuration, they seem to
massivly hinder airflow.

The bussbars are attached to the normal rack mounting holes, and pivot
out like cabinet doors. A plastic clip joins the left and right bars in
the middle to keep them closed.

I found that airflow was improved and server temperature dropped if I
did NOT clip them together, and leave them partway open alowing air to
move between them. Dealing with cabling such as FCAL or ethernet was
also a pain with the damn bussbars and the 1/2" thick DC power cables
getting in the way.

Server management is quite good, and better if you spring for the extra
blade chassis module that does not come standard (it should.)

The HP management tools and drivers all install nicely on Centos 3 and 4
if you alter the /etc/redhat-release to say that it's real redhat.
The HP FCAL modules work well with EMC SAN management / multi-pathing
software.

HTH.