[svlug] Developing Kickstart scripts when they are used in production

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Tue Apr 4 12:58:16 PDT 2006

Hi,

At my current place of employ I set up kickstart to install Linux and our
stuff on our appliances.

However, product managers want to change the hardware, and some changes
require that changes be made to the Kickstart scripts. Eg, moving to two
drives and wanting to mirror some stuff and so on.

To handle this sitution, I decided to set up a development kickstart area
as well as the production kickstart area. This is a good start, but
problems occur when we have to move a new kickstart file into production.

While it is possible to eliminate some of these by setting up a separate
name space (via a separate DNS and isolated network) that is a pain. Life
would be a whole lot easier, on the whole, if Kickstart allowed you to
embed variables in a kickstart script.

I am already doing this in the %post script:

 	# Post installation fixup stuff
 	%post
 	printenv
 	KS=`printenv| grep ANACONDAARGS | cut -f3 -d/ | cut -f1 -d.`
 	echo Kickstart location is: $KS

which allows me to minimize the hand-edits that are needed when moving
stuff from dev to production. This is handled by specifying that the
kickstart config file is at http://ks... pr http://ks-dev... in the boot
cd used ...

However, things like the url keyword still present problems:

 	url --url http://ks...

Here I have to remember to manually edit the script when I move it over.

Are there any simple solutions? Do I have to learn Python?

Regards
-------