[svlug] An FC5 horror story ...

Sanatan Rai sanatan at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 22:59:55 PDT 2006

> Yesterday, in a fit of capriciousness, I decided to upgrade my machine to
> FC5. I had the ISOs, and I had burned CDs, and 'yum install xyz' kept
> failing on the FC3 base I had ...

    Ahem...Same situation with me...

> So, I installed. Then I had major problems. My DSL link would not come up.
> It seemed clear that it was not an SBC problem, but nothing I could do
> would bring it up.

   Ahem...Similar situation with me. Except that I kept the FC3 box,
and installed FC5 on a brand new box. I am connected to the phone line
via an ADSL router modem. The older box is on the net, however, when I
configure the new box to pick up an IP address, it doesn't. On the
other hand if I give it a static (192.168.2.3) address, then it can
connect to the other box, but not to the outside world. The DHCP
config works with the older box, but not with the new one. Any ideas?

> Fortunately, I was in the process of switching to ComCast cable, so I had
> a link to the outside world. After lots of searching on google, and
> noticing some problems with eth0 timing out, and a number of reboots, and
> so forth, the solution was: add irqpoll to the kernel line in grub.conf.

   I haven't tried this yet, but I should guess that since my netcard
seems to come up allright, perhaps this isn't the fix(?).

  By the way, I gave up on both FC4 and Ubuntu 5.10 for this new box,
as it has an ATI card. The ATI drivers supplied with these
distributions freeze X, though I believe there is a work aournd.

--Sanatan

--
Sanatan Rai
Flat 10, Horselydown Mansions,