[svlug] An FC5 horror story ...

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Sun Apr 2 16:17:14 PDT 2006

Hi,

Yesterday, in a fit of capriciousness, I decided to upgrade my machine to
FC5. I had the ISOs, and I had burned CDs, and 'yum install xyz' kept
failing on the FC3 base I had ...

So, I installed. Then I had major problems. My DSL link would not come up.
It seemed clear that it was not an SBC problem, but nothing I could do
would bring it up.

Fortunately, I was in the process of switching to ComCast cable, so I had
a link to the outside world. After lots of searching on google, and
noticing some problems with eth0 timing out, and a number of reboots, and
so forth, the solution was: add irqpoll to the kernel line in grub.conf.

It seems that there was a change in this area between 2.6.9 which I had
been using, and 2.6.15 that FC5 uses.

Regards
-------