[svlug] Web site being brushed up

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Apr 2 16:41:38 PDT 2006

While getting ready for www.svlug.org conversion to wiki format, I've
been unbreaking 404 external links (even -- mirabile dictu! -- one that
no longer exists: Don Marti's NEBALU page), and doing a top-to-bottom
site content update.

One of the pages _most_ out of date -- some of it about eight years out
of date -- was the "Link Farm" page, http://www.svlug.org/farm.shtml --
including its list of major Linux distributions,
http://www.svlug.org/farm.shtml#sw-dist .

The distros list generally duplicates Distrowatch's "Major Distributions"
list (but removing FreeBSD because it's not Linux, adding RHEL because
it's too important to skip, and adding CentOS and VidaLinux Desktop OS
as sub-items under RHEL and Gentoo).

Below those 11 distros are four pages deemed most helpful to newcomers
in selecting Linux distributions.  That includes a nicely done guide by
Karsten Self.

I've also beefed up (and corrected) the lists of Linux & other technical
groups to bring them in line with BALE, revamped and expanded the
(previously rather pathetic) "Linux Jobs" category, tracked down all Bay
Area Linux hardware vendors I could find, and listed known Bay Area
retailers selling Linux distribution media.

If people can think of anything I've missed, reminders would be most
helpful.  E.g., if someone wants to go to some of the stores and
_verify_ what distros they carry, that would be great.