[svlug] Recommendations for SATA RAID controller under Linux

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Mar 31 16:09:04 PST 2005

I've never used SATA RAID controllers in particular, but might I
suggest, whatever card you end up choosing, that you pick up two of them
rather than one?  I've heard some pretty bad data loss stories when the
card fails a few years down the road, and a compatible replacement can't
be found.

Then again, SATA-type RAID might be different, and this might not be an
issue, so feel free to smack me ^_~.

Sorry to not really answer your question, but have you looked into Linux
software RAID?  You can do some pretty powerful stuff in combination
with LVM2 or EVMS (though I think the LVM2 docs are more complete and
better supported at this point).  Unless you don't have a recent box for
it, the processing requirements shouldn't be too bad either.  And you
don't have to worry about pesky failing controller hardware...

    -brian