J. Paul Reed preed at svlug.org
Mon Mar 28 15:03:19 PST 2005

On 28 Mar 2005 at 14:05:08, bruce coston arranged the bits on my disk to say:

> I'm certain you can get better, shorter directions.
> Did the same guy do the directions to Cisco, those
> were horrible!

[SNIP]

> Honestly these are so bad you might call them a defacement.

So, this is a great sprint board to announce a few mailing list changes for
the SVLUG mailing lists that Bill Ward, SVLUG's Vice-president and I, have
been discussing.

First of all, let me say that we welcome feedback on our website and other
various endeavors that we're involved with, but if you're ready to
criticize (especially as "creatively" as the message above), please be
expected to volunteer as well.

Like opensource, if the software (or website) doesn't have something you
want, you only have yourself to blame.

In that vein, we've combined all of SVLUG's various volunteer lists,
including the webteam list, into one mailing list: volunteers at svlug.org

If you're interested in helping with the web site, helping plan and execute
meetings, the installfests, or any other aspect or project of SVLUG,
please join!

Details on this new list are here:

There are a couple of other mailing list related changes I'd like to
announce as well:

1. SVLUG's announce list will continue to be the high quality, low traffic
   mailing list it has been, discussing only events SVLUG is directly involved
   with and/or sponsoring.

2. In that vein, announcements for other organizations'/LUGs'/etc. events
   should continue to be sent to the main svlug list, BUT MUST BE APPROVED
   BY AN OFFICER. This is akin to the old job posting policy we had. There
   are a set of people posting a set of events that are already
   "pre-approved," as it were. Those people will be getting emails from me
   shortly.

3. In an attempt to keep the SVLUG list's signal to noise ratio very high,
   please refrain from playing "list cop." In the past month, I've seen a
   couple of people reply publicly regarding crossposting, posting in HTML,
   posting attachments, etc.

   Don't do that.

   Either reply privately to the person or (more optimally) forward the mail
   to officers@ and we'll gently remind the sender of our mailing list
   policies.

   Nothing is scarier to a Linux newbie than getting flamed forty different
   ways from Tuesday because they didn't turn HTML attachments off. :-)

Bill and I are hoping these list changes will make all of SVLUG's mailing
lists more functional, more effective, and a more enjoyable place to "hang
out" at.

If you have any comments or suggestions on these polices, don't hesitate
to email officers at svlug.org with them.

Thanks, and now back to your regularly scheduled svlug at svlug.org!

Later,
Paul