[svlug] Needing information on Teaching Linux

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sat Mar 26 01:56:53 PST 2005

On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 01:34:09AM -0800, James Sparenberg wrote:
> All,
>
>    On another list I'm on one of my friends from Germany has posted a
> request for information regarding materials / lesson plans / information
> etc for conducting classes on OSS and Linux for his company.  I know
> that some here have been involved in creating, and or giving classes for
> the Linux beginner.  As such, you probably know of sources for materials
> etc.

A few years ago, I co-taught some small classes out in Roseville, Calif
(near Sacramento) for a little company called Advanced Open Source Solutions.

It was a week-long course, 9am to 9pm each day (the last few hours were
dinner break, followed by 'lab'), and went through a TON of content,
all the way up to HTML and basic C programming and even a little on SDL
graphics programming (since I'm so keen on that ;^) )

It was pretty intense, though, and I'm not sure what, if any of the content,
is available anywhere, any more.  (Ironically, though I recently found some
of my old invoices to AOSS when I was going through "stuff so old I can now
safely shred it" ;^) )

I'm sure there must be some more 'official' teaching materials out there.
Certification stuff, perhaps?  (LPI, Linux+, RHCE all come to mind, though
I have /no/ personal experience with any of them. ;^) )

I think one big question to have answered, before going on, is what is
the audience?  Will they be people going out to admin systems?
Will they simply be end users who need to know how to use KDE/Gnome/etc.?
OpenOffice.org, Gimp, and other apps?  Both?  Something in between?

-bill!
(realizing this was actually a pretty useless response...
but hey, we ALL like hearing /me/ talk, right? ;^) )