[svlug] SBAY Pizza Reminder - Sat 3/19 at 7PM

Ian Kluft ikluft at thunder.sbay.org
Thu Mar 17 12:24:48 PST 2005

[Separate copy to SVLUG... cut&paste error left it off the original message.]

This reminder is sent to everyone on sbay.org's mail lists.
CC to sbay.org SIGs: SVLUG, BAFUG and Stratofox.

The next SBAY Pizza technical/social discussion will be Saturday, March 19.
Remember, SBAY Pizzas are on 3rd Saturdays at 7PM - mark your calendar.
Directions and location can be found at
   http://www.sbay.org/sbay-social.html

The directions (which are also on the www.sbay.org web site) are:
   * 1st Quarter 2005
      + March 19: Mountain Mike's Pizza at 2011 Naglee Ave (at Bascom)
        in San Jose.  This location is 1/2 mile south of the I-880/Bascom
        interchange and 1/2 mile north of the I-280/Bascom interchange.
        Directions are at
           http://www.sbay.org/dir-naglee-mm.html
   * 2nd Quarter 2005
      + April 16: Round Table Pizza on 3730 N First St (at Tasman) in North SJ.
        This Round Table location just opened for business on Monday 3/14.
	Directions will be posted after we're done with the March location.
      + May 21: same as April location
      + June 18: same as April location

Subjects for discussion: (besides informal talk that can cover any topic)
* SVLUG's meeting site search got worse before it got better.  While still
  looking for a new meeting location, the location of the monthly installfest
  also became unavailable.  (Accent Technologies closed their operations.)
  The Installfest will be at a member's house this month (as previously
  announced, same day as the SBAY Pizza but 8 hours earlier.)  A meeting
  location may have been lined up for April only.  So things are looking
  better but there's nothing concrete to announce yet.  Hopefully we'll
  know more about both the meeting and installfest sites by the 3/19 SBAY
  Pizza.  In any case, we'll have the current status.
* The Silicon Valley Electronics Flea Market is also looking for a new
  location.  Lockheed hosted it in Sunnyvale for the past year, but is
  closing the parking lot to put up a building.  (It was an odd location
  being right next to a top-secret Air Force facility where they warned
  everyone not to bring cameras.)  But they're in better shape.  They expect
  to have a new site to announce any day now.  However, we have no details.
  We should know more by Saturday.
* The Stratofox Aerospace Tracking Team has an interesting new project
  for anyone interested in Ham Radio.  An opportunity has arisen to put
  up an Amateur Radio repeater on both the 2m and 70cm bands at Nevada's
  Black Rock Desert (where Stratofox assists with tracking high-altitude
  rockets.)  But there's the usual catch - there's a lot of work to do and
  no room for spectators.  If you think you're up to it, you can introduce
  yourself to members of the Stratofox team at any SBAY Pizza meeting.

SBAY.ORG's monthly pizza gatherings remain informal after 11 years.
Everyone usually buys their own food - but there have been a few
times that businesses or individuals picked up the tab.  If a business
wants to sponsor an SBAY PIZZA in order to make a presentation, it requires
prior approval - we'll poll the membership that it's something we want
to hear.  As always, it has to be a technical topic with us.

The format of the event is social discussion related to technical and
administrative aspects of of electronic communications systems with
emphasis on Open Source based systems.  There is no agenda.  We generally
talk until the restaurant closes, and sometimes continue outside.  Topics
include...
* Internet server administrivia, protocols, security, and development
* Wireless networking including but not limited to 802.11
* Ham Radio repeaters, transmitter hunting, and data communications
  (Transmitter hunting topics can include rockets and high-altitude balloons)
* Usenet newsgroups and other electronic discussion forums
* IP and PSTN telephony
* Broadcast radio and television
* "SBC Blunder of the Month" (formerly "PacBell Blunder of the Month")
* Silicon Valley economic observations
* Silicon Valley local issues (and now including the Peninsula for BAFUG)
* more... bring up your own subject

Feel free to invite your friends if this format is of interest.