[svlug] OT: Cross-posting [was: Re: Linux Job]

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Tue Mar 15 16:44:04 PST 2005

William R Ward wrote:

>Cross-posting across multiple mailing lists is, I believe, contrary to
>SVLUG policy.  It causes problems because not all the same people may
>be subscribed to all the lists, so when someone replies, it would
>bounce from the list(s) to which they are not subscribed.  Multi-
>posting avoids the bounces, but still not everyone will see replies
>unless they are on all the list(s) involved.

So, in the case that, hypothetically, I'm subscribed to two mailing
lists, and I think some bit of information (or whatever) would be of
interest to both of them, what's the recommended way of passing the info
along?  Cross-posting, or multi-posting?  Or some other way that I
haven't thought of?  I'm not trying to be a troll; I'm genuinely curious.

    -brian