[svlug] GMane, Leafnode -- newsgroups instead of mailing lists

claw@kanga.nu claw at kanga.nu
Mon Mar 14 10:29:35 PST 2005

beartooth <beartooth at adelphia.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:37:01 -0800, J C Lawrence wrote:

> I follow three Opera lists, half a dozen on GRC, about three dozen
> on gmane, and thirty or so on Giganews.

GRC?

> It's also the only Unix newsreader to get a perfect score on the Good
> Net-Keeping Seal of Approval evaluations.

Pan has a bug that makes it essentially unusable for me: when
configered to always use an external editor it a) doesn't pass the
full article to the external editor, but just the article body with
no headers, and b) insists on using its own editor (which it
conviently places in front of my editor) to write/edit the article
headers.  Most annoying.  That said, I do like the fact that Pan can
be configured to use the pane display I prefer (vertical stack of
three ala Exmh).  The editor business however is too annoying to
tolerate.

> Pan runs on Linux, BSD, Mac OS X, Windows, and most flavors of Unix.

I'm currently looking at XPN, which has promise but is also rather
easy to get to traceback.  Next up is gnus.

--
J C Lawrence