[svlug] Digital Voice Recorders and Linux

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sun Mar 13 11:01:12 PST 2005

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:32:24 -0800 (PST)
Robert Hajime Lanning <lanning at lanning.cc> wrote:
> <quote who="J C Lawrence">

>> Where?

> http://www.olympus-europa.com/consumer/2581_DS-2.htm

> Second paragraph on the right, mentions both block storage and audio
> classes.

Ahh, I missed that.  Thanks.

> Most of these "no drivers needed" would be standard block devices with
> FAT32 (keeps Mac/Windows compat.)

That's my thought as well.  It also makes sense from the manufacturers
PoV: they get to share/reuse codebase and chipsets that are standard and
well tested and supported.

> One thing to watch for is the recording format.  With the Olympus
> unit, it supports DSS and WMA.  WMA can be converted/played directly
> on Linux.  But, there is nothing for DSS.

Yeah.  I don't mind that at all.  I need/want WAV/MP3 for the files I'll
be listening to directly (the majority case), and when I need
distation/transcription (which is what DSS is for), I'll be sending the
files out to a commercial service...who (obviously) will have DSS
support.

--
J C Lawrence