[svlug] Digital Voice Recorders and Linux

Robert Hajime Lanning lanning at lanning.cc
Sun Mar 13 10:32:24 PST 2005

<quote who="J C Lawrence">
> Where?

http://www.olympus-europa.com/consumer/2581_DS-2.htm

Second paragraph on the right, mentions both block storage
and audio classes.

They are not really clear about it, but it seem like it would work.

>> So, you can take the recordings directly off the unit.
>
> That is my hope.  Many of these devices mantion that they "don't need
> Windows drivers".  I'm guessing that that means that they are just
> straight USB storage devices...

Most of these "no drivers needed" would be standard block devices with
FAT32 (keeps Mac/Windows compat.)  One thing to watch for is the
recording format.  With the Olympus unit, it supports DSS and WMA.
WMA can be converted/played directly on Linux.  But, there is nothing
for DSS.

--
END OF LINE
       -MCP